- This event has passed.
2-day Basic Rifle (Sesser, IL)
Jul 23, 2016 @ 8:00 am—Jul 24, 2016 @ 5:00 pm CDT
2-day Basic Rifle Overview
Estimated Ammunition Required: About 200 rounds/day, and a safe rifle.
You may want to bring centerfire rifles and ammunition for this event, as the range goes to 300 yards. We will use the longer range facilities primarily on Sunday after learning the fundamentals at 25 yards.
2-day Basic Rifle includes classroom and range time learning to shoot rifles. Students learn:
- Rules for safe gun handling & range rules
- Rifle parts and operation & ammunition
- Shooting fundamentals: Five steps to firing each shot
- Natural Point of Aim
- Shooting from the prone, standing and sitting/kneeling positions to include use of the sling
- Introduction to Sight Adjustments and basic calculation of minutes of angle
- 25 Yard “Morgan’s 13” Classifier
- 25 Yard Qualification Test
- Intermediate calculation of minutes of angle for precise sight adjustments at all ranges
- Introduction to Field Shooting, to include basic ballistics and live firing to longer distances (if the range facility permits)
- As time allows, there may be additional opportunities to engage in challenging competitions to include the Qualification Test, Battle Rattle, and/or Field Shoot
This is our signature offering, based on traditional American riflecraft that teaches “Hits Count!” It is appropriate for a wide breadth of student skill levels. This course lays a sound foundation for students to shoot groups under time pressure from a variety of practical field positions. Shooting will primarily be at 25 yards. At some facilities, it may be possible to move out to longer distances, but a rimfire rifle should be just fine for all activities.
Local History Presentation
Learn more about the “Liberty Bell of the West” and it’s importance in securing our young nation’s borders in 1783.
Discover the failed British attempt in St. Louis during the Battle of Fort San Carlos to seize not only the Forts but the waterways which would deny the Militia the ability to defend the struggling outposts.
Remember the more than 30 Revolutionary War Veterans who traveled forth to what would become the State of Illinois and helped shape the fledgling nation.
Additional Event Information
Range fee of $5 per person (not included in ticket price). Youth .22 ammunition is available for pre-registered youth at cost; please contact Event Director for details.
This is an indoor facility with covered lines.
You should bring sufficient water and a lunch.
9 people are attending 2-day Basic Rifle (Sesser, IL)
Wondering What to Bring?
Don’t See An Event Listed?
We have members in over a dozen states and can custom-schedule an event that meets your needs in a convenient location. Please contact us for more information.
Training Event Terms & Conditions
Please see the Training Event Terms & Conditions for important information on attending Revere’s Riders events.