- This event has passed.
Inaugural Marty Brown Memorial Open (Bedford, IN)
Aug 3 @ 8:00 am—Aug 4 @ 5:00 pm EDT
Marty Brown Memorial Open Overview
The Marty Brown Memorial Open™ event honors Marty Brown, an instructor with Revere’s Riders who lost a 40-month battle with ovarian cancer in 2017. You can read more about Marty as well as Ovar’coming Together on the Marty Brown Memorial™ page of our website.
50% of ticket revenue (after deduction of range fees and lunch costs) will be donated to Ovar’coming Together to assist in their programs to support women diagnosed with ovarian cancer as well as funding ovarian cancer research. If you would like to make an additional donation, please visit the Donation page on the Ovar’coming Together website.
Swag Bags, Give Aways, Prizes, Auctions
Revere’s Riders has asked companies to donate appropriate items to help make this event a success. The response we have received to our request has exceeded our wildest imagination; we have received nearly
in product donations for this event from more than 40 companies.
We will be incorporating these donations into the Marty Brown Memorial Open in the following ways:
- Swag Bags—every paid participant will receive a “swag bag” filled with
- a custom teal #MBMO2019 event t-shirt
- a custom Marty Brown Memorial patch
- additional items such as hats, koozies, patches, stickers, pens, etc. from other donors and sponsors
- complete details on Swag Bag contents
- Give Aways—every paid participant will receive a random gift such as the following:
- Mossberg International Silver Reserver II 20g Over/Under youth model shotgun
- various Vortex optics
- 6 month range pass to Indy Arms Company
- complete details on Give Aways
- Skills Contests—paid participants will be eligible to compete in a skills contest each day with prizes for the top 4 scores (extra entry fee required; $5/shot, $20/5 shots):
- IWI Jericho pistol
- Taurus G2 pistol
- Timber Creek AR-15 upper build kit
- Palmetto State Armory barreled AR-15 upper in .300 AAC Blackout
- complete details on Skills Contests
- Silent Auction—we will auctioning off more than a dozen items in a silent auction open to everyone which includes:
- signed Ted Nugent memorabilia
- several Vortex riflescopes
- custom jewelry
- concealed carry purse
- complete details on Silent Auction
Details on all these items can be found on the 2019 Marty Brown Memorial Open Swag Bags, Give Aways, Prizes, Auctions page.
MAKE SURE TO BRING CASH FOR SKILLS CONTEST ENTRY FEES!
This event will consist of both pistol and rifle marksmanship including: the fundamentals of firearm safety, how to effectively hit your target and drills you can practice on your own.
The Marty Brown Memorial Open will be based upon our existing Whittemore Weekend™ event; this is a unique offering combining pistol and rifle training in one weekend. This course is appropriate for a wide breadth of student skill levels and lays a sound foundation for students to shoot groups under time pressure from a variety of practical stances and field positions.
Estimated Ammunition Required: About 250 rounds each of pistol and rifle ammunition (500 total).
Pistol Requirements: You will need a safe pistol with at least five round capacity to fully participate in this course. Pistols should be of a modern, drop safe design.
Older single action pistols manufactured before the 1980s and lacking a transfer bar safety are the most common type of pistol that lack drop safe design features, as do some military surplus imports from Eastern bloc countries and Taurus PT-series pistols not fixed during an international safety recall in 2015. These pistols may discharge if dropped and pose a potential safety hazard to our volunteers and students, and are not permitted. If you have concerns about the safety features of your pistol you should have it inspected by an armorer or gunsmith before class.
Rifle Requirements: You will need a safe rifle chambered in your preferred caliber. Magazine-fed semi-automatic rifles generally work best for our classes, but any other type of rifle (tube-fed semi-automatic, lever-action, bolt-action, etc.) can be used as well. Bring whatever rifle you have and we will work with you.
Required Equipment: You should plan to bring the following equipment to the event:
- at least two magazines for your rifle
- at least two magazines for your pistol
- a way to take notes
- hearing protection
- eye protection
- plenty of your preferred method of hydration (both plain water and something to replace electrolytes you will lose via sweating is ideal)
- clothing appropriate for the weather (loose fitting clothing, especially around the neck, is discouraged as hot brass can lodge against the skin and cause a burn)
It is helpful that all ammunition be of the same type (i.e. same weight, manufacturer, etc) for this event. Our volunteers have identified several accessories that may be helpful at this type of event:
Rifle shooting will primarily be at 25 yards. Pistol shooting will primarily be at 7 yards. Rimfire pistols and/or rifles will be perfectly suitable for this event.
We will not be drawing from the holster in this class and we will run a “cold range.” You will not need a holster to participate in the class activities.
Optional Equipment: The following equipment is not required but may come in handy at the event:
- sling for your rifle (a US GI sling is preferred; loaner slings are typically available at the event)
- hat with a brim (to deflect flying hot brass)
- shooting mat, carpet remnant or similar
- folding chair
- sunscreen and/or bug spray
Loaner Firearms: loaner firearms suitable for use at this event are generally available but limited. Please contact the Event Director if you would like to request a loaner firearm.
Additional Range Information
Your ticket price includes all range fees and lunch.
Spectators are welcome but will be asked to remain a safe distance from the firing line (ear protection is required for all spectators; eye protection is optional). Additional lunch tickets will be sold for $10/person on the day of the event.
We would like to thank the following event sponsors for their generosity in helping to make this event possible.
Wondering What to Bring?
Don’t See An Event Listed?
We have members in over a dozen states and can custom-schedule an event that meets your needs in a convenient location. Please contact us for more information.
Training Event Terms & Conditions
Please see the Training Event Terms & Conditions for important information on attending Revere’s Riders events.