What to Bring—All Events
The most common question we are asked is “what to bring?” This page provides some guidelines that will ensure you have the best experience at one of our events. The specific products and vendors below are just suggestions or examples of a type of product that may work well for you. There are many other similar gear options.
- Our volunteers are neither gunsmiths nor armorers; please ensure your firearm is safe and functional!
- Eye and ear protection is required at all events. We highly suggest electronic ear protection as it makes it easier to hear instruction and line commands.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun. Most guns have the proper ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Do not shoot without the proper ammunition. Revere’s Riders strongly suggests the use of factory ammunition. Handloads are generally not necessary at our service-rifle and pistol inspired events—originally these events were intended to be fired with bulk issue “ball” ammunition!
- Dress appropriately for a day outside at a firing range (closed-toe shoes, high neck shirts, long sleeves if weather allows, etc). Our events occur rain or shine. Dress for the weather!
- Avoid loose-fitting clothing, especially around the neck line. You don’t want hot brass going down your shirt!
- A hat with brim will keep the sun out of your eyes and deflect any hot brass headed towards your face.
- Bring a pad and paper for taking notes.
- Bring a pen or marker for taking notes and marking your targets.
- You may want to bring gloves. They protect your hands in inclement weather and also keep your hands from getting torn up working through drills.
- A towel or mat is useful for using in the prone position as well as covering your firearm in inclement or hot weather during breaks.
- A folding chair is nice to have during lunch and history presentations.
- For full day events, pack a lunch (note that a few events will provide lunch; the event listing will specify if lunch will be provided).
- Bring snacks and water. Proper hydration is essential—in the summer plan on one quart per hour as a rule of thumb and supplement your water with sports drinks, salty snacks, etc.
Recommended General Safety Equipment
Below is a list of equipment that our instructors have found to be functional, durable and useful:
MidwayUSA Heavy Duty Scoped Rifle Case
The MidwayUSA Scoped Rifle Case is a heavy-duty solution for anyone looking for a rifle case. These cases have been engineered with an internal, adjustable retention strap to provide exceptional protection for rifles. These cases are constructed with an advanced dual density bonded padding system that provides superior impact protection compared to basic foam used in other cases. The heavy duty padding is over 1″ thick on both sides to protect your rifle and optics investment from rough handling in storage or travel. Other enhanced durability features include heavy duty, 400D high-abrasion resistant ballistic fabric construction, and oversized self repairing coil zippers with sewn pull tabs. Lay flat construction allows this case to stay open on the shooting bench for ease removing your rifle, or as a padded surface to lay the gun on during breaks in the action. The fully wrapped webbing handles, reinforced seam stitching, metal hardware, adjustable shoulder strap and snag-proof lining fabric make the MidwayUSA Scoped Rifle Case an excellent choice for transporting your sporting rifles.
MidwayUSA Range Bag Pistol Case
Measuring 13.5″ x 10″, this case fits a variety of handguns. Constructed of durable 400D PVC coated polyester and a heavy duty zipper, this case can be used as a stand alone gun case, incorporated into your current range bag, or as part of your MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System.
Peltor Sport Tactical 300 Electronic Earmuffs
Targeted NRR of 24 dBA for passive sound protection. Suppresses gunshot noise and amplifies low sounds using proprietary 3M technologies. Gunshot Recognition and Suppression Technology optimizes noise protection based on the firearm being used and the environment in which it’s being used. Clear Voice Tracking Technology seeks voice amongst the noise to improve speech intelligibility and situational awareness. Engineered for optimal fit and comfort. Foldable and adjustable.
Peltor TEP-200 Tactical Earplug
The 3M PELTOR Tactical Earplug helps protect your hearing and can help improve situational awareness and communications in challenging environments. Integrated with advanced level dependent technology, the TEP 200 helps provide hearing protection in noise and situational awareness in quiet environments. Protecting hearing and improving situational awareness may help increase personal safety and may improve productivity.
NOTE: the link associated with the “Buy from Amazon” button below is an “affiliate” link; clicking through and buying this product will earn Revere’s Riders a small commission on the sale. This income helps to support our firearms training programs going forward.
Plano Gun Guard SE Scoped Rifle Case
With a rugged look and solid protection for beginner and experienced sportsmen alike, the SE Series Single Scoped Rifle Case safely carries a single rifle with a high-mount 50mm scope. The rifle has double the protection thanks to contoured recessed latches and a strong, rigid ribbed construction. Padlock tabs offer added security.
Plano Protector Single Pistol Case
Featuring thick-wall construction, molded-in handles secure latches and padlock tabs for secure storage this Plano case holds a single pistol with room for accessories. The Protector Series of cases offer one of the best value to price relationships available.
Rapid Rod Cleaning Rod
Rapid-Rod will keep your barrel clear and safe. Obstructions such as mud, snow, dirt, ice, shotgun wadding, shell casings, or a bullet can and do get lodged in chambers and barrels. This dangerous and frustrating situation renders your weapon useless until cleared.
Voodoo Tactical Padded Weapons Rifle Case
Whether you are carrying your rifles to the range or need to pack them in the field, this Voodoo Tactical brand padded weapons case is a terrific way to carry one or two long guns and a great deal of related gear. With a padded separator, your guns will remain safe. This gun case features three carrying methods: A standard handle in center of the bag, a shoulder strap, and back-pack style shoulder harness. This backpack style carry is great for long distances. And if you use the PAL webbing to attach MOLLE or ALICE pouches, you can haul even more gear.
Wiley X Saber Series Shooting Glasses
Wiley-X Saber Advanced shooting glasses feature maximum eye protection with a one-piece, wraparound design. The padded nosepiece combines with patented temple adjustments for a secure, comfortable fit. Part of the Wiley-X Tactical line, Saber Advanced glasses meet the MIL-PRF-32432(GL) Ballistic Standards. ANSI Z87.1-2010 High Velocity and Mass Impact Standards, and EN 166 FT at High Speed at Temperature Extremes Standards, and US Federal OSHA 1910.133(b)(1)(i) Standards. Offer superb UV protection and optical clarity.