What to Bring—All Events
The most common question we are asked is “what to bring?” This page provides some guidelines that will ensure you have the best experience at one of our events. The specific products and vendors below are just suggestions or examples of a type of product that may work well for you. There are many other similar gear options.
- Our volunteers are neither gunsmiths nor armorers; please ensure your firearm is safe and functional!
- Eye and ear protection is required at all events. We highly suggest electronic ear protection as it makes it easier to hear instruction and line commands.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun. Most guns have the proper ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Do not shoot without the proper ammunition. Revere’s Riders strongly suggests the use of factory ammunition. Handloads are generally not necessary at our service-rifle and pistol inspired events—originally these events were intended to be fired with bulk issue “ball” ammunition!
- Dress appropriately for a day outside at a firing range (closed-toe shoes, high neck shirts, long sleeves if weather allows, etc). Our events occur rain or shine. Dress for the weather!
- Avoid loose-fitting clothing, especially around the neck line. You don’t want hot brass going down your shirt!
- A hat with brim will keep the sun out of your eyes and deflect any hot brass headed towards your face.
- Bring a pad and paper for taking notes.
- Bring a pen or marker for taking notes and marking your targets.
- You may want to bring gloves. They protect your hands in inclement weather and also keep your hands from getting torn up working through drills.
- A towel or mat is useful for using in the prone position as well as covering your firearm in inclement or hot weather during breaks.
- A folding chair is nice to have during lunch and history presentations.
- For full day events, pack a lunch (note that a few events will provide lunch; the event listing will specify if lunch will be provided).
- Bring snacks and water. Proper hydration is essential—in the summer plan on one quart per hour as a rule of thumb and supplement your water with sports drinks, salty snacks, etc.
Recommended General Safety Equipment
Below is a list of equipment that our instructors have found to be functional, durable and useful:
Peltor Sport Tactical 300 Electronic Earmuffs
Targeted NRR of 24 dBA for passive sound protection. Suppresses gunshot noise and amplifies low sounds using proprietary 3M technologies. Gunshot Recognition and Suppression Technology optimizes noise protection based on the firearm being used and the environment in which it’s being used. Clear Voice Tracking Technology seeks voice amongst the noise to improve speech intelligibility and situational awareness. Engineered for optimal fit and comfort. Foldable and adjustable.
Peltor TEP-200 Tactical Earplug
The 3M PELTOR Tactical Earplug helps protect your hearing and can help improve situational awareness and communications in challenging environments. Integrated with advanced level dependent technology, the TEP 200 helps provide hearing protection in noise and situational awareness in quiet environments. Protecting hearing and improving situational awareness may help increase personal safety and may improve productivity.
Rapid Rod Cleaning Rod
Rapid-Rod will keep your barrel clear and safe. Obstructions such as mud, snow, dirt, ice, shotgun wadding, shell casings, or a bullet can and do get lodged in chambers and barrels. This dangerous and frustrating situation renders your weapon useless until cleared.
Wiley X Saber Series Shooting Glasses
Wiley-X Saber Advanced shooting glasses feature maximum eye protection with a one-piece, wraparound design. The padded nosepiece combines with patented temple adjustments for a secure, comfortable fit. Part of the Wiley-X Tactical line, Saber Advanced glasses meet the MIL-PRF-32432(GL) Ballistic Standards. ANSI Z87.1-2010 High Velocity and Mass Impact Standards, and EN 166 FT at High Speed at Temperature Extremes Standards, and US Federal OSHA 1910.133(b)(1)(i) Standards. Offer superb UV protection and optical clarity.