What to Bring—Rifle 125 (Basic Rifle)
The most common question we are asked is “what to bring?” This page provides some guidelines that will ensure you have the best experience at one of our events. The specific products and vendors below are just suggestions or examples of a type of product that may work well for you. There are many other similar gear options.
- Our volunteers are neither gunsmiths nor armorers; please ensure your firearm is safe and functional!
- Eye and ear protection is required at all events. We highly suggest electronic ear protection as it makes it easier to hear instruction and line commands.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun. Most guns have the proper ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Do not shoot without the proper ammunition. Revere’s Riders strongly suggests the use of factory ammunition. Handloads are generally not necessary at our service-rifle and pistol inspired events—originally these events were intended to be fired with bulk issue “ball” ammunition!
- Dress appropriately for a day outside at a firing range (closed-toe shoes, high neck shirts, long sleeves if weather allows, etc). Our events occur rain or shine. Dress for the weather!
- Avoid loose-fitting clothing, especially around the neck line. You don’t want hot brass going down your shirt!
- A hat with brim will keep the sun out of your eyes and deflect any hot brass headed towards your face.
- Bring a pad and paper for taking notes.
- Bring a pen or marker for taking notes and marking your targets.
- You may want to bring gloves. They protect your hands in inclement weather and also keep your hands from getting torn up working through drills.
- A towel or mat is useful for using in the prone position as well as covering your firearm in inclement or hot weather during breaks.
- A folding chair is nice to have during lunch and history presentations.
- For full day events, pack a lunch (note that a few events will provide lunch; the event listing will specify if lunch will be provided).
- Bring snacks and water. Proper hydration is essential—in the summer plan on one quart per hour as a rule of thumb and supplement your water with sports drinks, salty snacks, etc.
We have a selection of recommended general safety equipment on the What to Bring–All Events page.
Rifle 125 (Basic Rifle)
Most important is to bring a safe and functional rifle. If you haven’t cleaned your rifle, setting aside time before the event to clean it would be a good idea. If you have doubts about the safety of your rifle, now would be a good time to have it looked over by a qualified gunsmith or armorer.
- Rifle Type: Any action type will do, but a magazine-fed semiautomatic rifle will be least frustrating for most shooters.
- Caliber: Most basic rifle events are primarily conducted at reduced ranges from 25 to 100 yards. A .22 LR caliber rifle is ideal for these events as it is much less expensive to shoot.
- Magazines: If using a magazine-fed rifle, bring at least two magazines (four is suggested).
- Sights/Optics: Any sights will do, but a basic practical optic of ~4x power or aperture-style iron sights will optimize your experience. For iron sights, many students enjoy Tech Sights as a good upgrade to the basic Ruger 10/22.
- Slings: The rifle should have a sling; a USGI web sling is best but any two point sling is fine.
- Mat: Bring a mat or pad to lie on. We will spend a lot of time in the prone position.
Recommended Rifle 125 Equipment
Below is a list of equipment that our instructors have found to be functional, durable and useful:
GrovTec Locking Sling Swivels
The GrovTec Locking Sling Swivels feature a all-steel construction and a premium finish. These GrovTec Locking Sling Swivels have multiple locking points and ergonomic steel thumbscrews.
IMPORTANT: if you are buying these for use with a US GI sling, you MUST get the wider 1 ¼” version of the sling swivel. The 1″ version is too narrow to fit a US GI sling.
GrovTech 1 ¼” Ruger 10/22 Sling Swivel Set
The GrovTec 1 ¼” Swivel is packaged to fit the Ruger 10/22. ½” wood screw suitable for fore end stock mounting is also included. Includes 3/4″ rear wood screw swivel stud with spacers and two locking sling swivels.
NOTE: this is all you need to mount a US GI sling to your Ruger 10/22 if it did not come with sling studs from the factory.
MidwayUSA Heavy Duty Scoped Rifle Case
The MidwayUSA Scoped Rifle Case is a heavy-duty solution for anyone looking for a rifle case. These cases have been engineered with an internal, adjustable retention strap to provide exceptional protection for rifles. These cases are constructed with an advanced dual density bonded padding system that provides superior impact protection compared to basic foam used in other cases. The heavy duty padding is over 1″ thick on both sides to protect your rifle and optics investment from rough handling in storage or travel. Other enhanced durability features include heavy duty, 400D high-abrasion resistant ballistic fabric construction, and oversized self repairing coil zippers with sewn pull tabs. Lay flat construction allows this case to stay open on the shooting bench for ease removing your rifle, or as a padded surface to lay the gun on during breaks in the action. The fully wrapped webbing handles, reinforced seam stitching, metal hardware, adjustable shoulder strap and snag-proof lining fabric make the MidwayUSA Scoped Rifle Case an excellent choice for transporting your sporting rifles.
Plano Gun Guard SE Scoped Rifle Case
With a rugged look and solid protection for beginner and experienced sportsmen alike, the SE Series Single Scoped Rifle Case safely carries a single rifle with a high-mount 50mm scope. The rifle has double the protection thanks to contoured recessed latches and a strong, rigid ribbed construction. Padlock tabs offer added security.
Primary Arms 6x32mm Rifle Scope w/ ACSS .22LR BDC Reticle
Introducing the Primary Arms ® 6X Scope with the Patented ACSS® 22LR Reticle (Advanced Combined Sighting System) is a giant leap forward in reticle design that utilizes bullet drop compensation correlated with range estimation and wind holds in one simple system.
Rapid Rod Cleaning Rod
Rapid-Rod will keep your barrel clear and safe. Obstructions such as mud, snow, dirt, ice, shotgun wadding, shell casings, or a bullet can and do get lodged in chambers and barrels. This dangerous and frustrating situation renders your weapon useless until cleared.
USGI Rifle Sling, OD Green
This sling is a correct representation of the military sling for the M1 Garand rifle. It is fully adjustable, 1-1/4″ cotton webbing. Made in U.S.A. Sling is approximately 48″ long from the Sling hook to the end of the ball tip. 52″ of canvas fully extended before the hardware is sewn on.
Vortex Optics 1 Inch Riflescope Medium Rings, Picatinny/Weaver Mount, Set of 2
For maximum strength these Vortex 1-inch Riflescope Rings (Set of 2) are manufactured with aircraft-grade 6061-T6 aluminum. Vortex 1-inch Riflescope Rings will mount on any Picatinny or Weaver type rails.
Vortex RECCE Pro 8x32mm Monocular
With an integral carry clip for quick external access, the RECCE Pro weighs in at 11 ounces. Featuring XR fully multi-coated lenses and HD glass, Argon gas-purging, o-ring-seals, and ArmorTek coatings, the RECCE Pro is fully water and weather proof and can be used anywhere, any time, and any place.