Rimfire Only Pistol 100 (Basic Pistol) – Two Day (Dennison, OH)
Dec 9 @ 8:30 am—Dec 10 @ 4:00 pm EST
This event will be RIMFIRE ONLY and will be held on an indoor range! Please bring your .22LR chambered pistol only; centerfire pistols will not be allowed on the firing line due to range limitations.
Minors between the ages of 16-18 are welcome to attend but MUST be accompanied by an adult for the entire duration of the event.
Pistol 100 (Basic Pistol) Overview
Estimated Ammunition Required: About 200 rounds/day.
Pistol Requirements: You will need a safe pistol with at least five round capacity to fully participate in this course. Pistols should be of a modern, drop safe design.
Older single action pistols manufactured before the 1980s and lacking a transfer bar safety are the most common type of pistol that lack drop safe design features, as do some military surplus imports from Eastern bloc countries and Taurus PT-series pistols not fixed during an international safety recall in 2015. These pistols may discharge if dropped and pose a potential safety hazard to our volunteers and students, and are not permitted. If you have concerns about the safety features of your pistol you should have it inspected by an armorer or gunsmith before class.
Required Equipment: Please review our suggestions for appropriate Pistol 100 equipment and plan to bring the following:
- at least two magazines for your pistol
- a way to take notes
- hearing protection
- eye protection
- plenty of your preferred method of hydration (both plain water and something to replace electrolytes you will lose via sweating is ideal)
- clothing appropriate for the weather (loose fitting clothing, especially around the neck, is discouraged as hot brass can lodge against the skin and cause a burn)
- lunch (there are no restaurants sufficiently close to the range)
We will not be drawing from the holster in this class and we will run a “cold range.” You will not need a holster to participate in the class activities.
Optional Equipment: The following equipment is not required but may come in handy at the event:
- case for your pistol
- stapler (and extra staples) to attach your target to the backer board
- hat with a brim (to deflect flying hot brass)
- folding chair
- sunscreen and/or bug spray
Loaner Firearms: loaner firearms suitable for use at this event are generally available but limited. Please contact the Event Director prior to the event if you would like to request a loaner firearm.
Overview: This course, based on traditional American service pistol fundamentals teaches “Hits Count!” This course lays a sound foundation for students to shoot groups under time pressure from a practical stance. Pistol 100 includes classroom and range time learning to shoot handguns. Students learn:
- Rules for safe gun handling & range rules
- Pistol parts and operation & ammunition
- Shooting fundamentals: Five steps to firing each shot
- Two Handed Grip & Stance: Isoceles, benchrest, and low ready positions (Weaver may also be taught)
- Natural Point of Aim
- Shot Group Analysis
- Clearing Common Stoppages
- Whittemore’s Stand Pistol Qualifier
- Classic WW2 Pistol Qualification Test (optional)
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere
Hear the true story of Paul Revere’s famous ride and learn about the events that immediately precipitated the Revolutionary War. Paul Revere did not ride alone – many individuals played crucial roles in the events of April 19th, 1775.
This history presentation begins with alarm riders warning “the Regulars are out!” You’ll hear about the dramatic stand on Lexington Green and the “shots heard ’round the world” at Concord’s North Bridge. The tale concludes with harrowing life-or-death choices made along the 17 mile “battle road.”
This exciting tale will be woven throughout the day’s marksmanship events.
Additional Event Information
Make sure to bring a lunch with you as there are no convenient options off the range for getting lunch in the time we have allotted.