- This event has passed.
Civil Air Patrol Rifle 125 (Basic Rifle) – One Day (Findlay, OH)
Oct 21 @ 8:00 am—5:00 pm EDT
This will be a private event for the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) and will also be .22LR only—thanks for joining us!
Rifle 125 (Basic Rifle) Overview
Estimated Ammunition Required: About 250 rounds.
- GLR-OH-145 cadets will be provided ammunition.
- CAP cadets from other units will be required to reimburse GLR-OH-145 (estimated @ $40) for the ammunition that will be provided.
Loaner Rifles: CAP cadets will be provided loaner firearms suitable for use at this event. Please notify Lt. Angelika Farina if you intend to bring your own rifle (see Rifle Requirements). A minimum of two magazines will be required.
Personal Rifle Requirements: CAP cadets may bring their own 22 Long Rifle (LR). No other rifle is permitted. Magazine-fed semi-automatic rifles generally work best for our classes, but any other type of rifle (tube-fed semi-automatic, lever-action, bolt-action, etc.) can be used as well. Bring whatever rifle you have and we will work with you. Ensure that your personal rifle includes the following:
- case for your rifle
- sling for your rifle (a US GI sling is strongly preferred as our instruction will be specific to this sling; loaner slings are typically available at the event)
- at least two magazines for your rifle
Required Equipment: Please bring the following:
- paper and pen/pencil to take notes
- hearing protection
- eye protection
- lunch (there are no restaurants sufficiently close to the range)
- fluids (plenty of water and something to replace electrolytes)
- CAP cadets are to wear their ABU’s (wearing the blouse is recommended during live fire as hot brass can lodge against the skin and cause a burn)
Optional Equipment: The following equipment is not required but may come in handy at the event:
- shooting mat, carpet remnant or similar (CAP cadets will be provided shooting mats)
- stapler (and extra staples) to attach your target to the backer board
- folding chair
- sunscreen and/or bug spray
Overview: This is our signature offering, based on traditional American riflecraft that teaches “Hits Count!” It is appropriate for a wide breadth of student skill levels. This course lays a sound foundation for students to shoot groups under time pressure from a variety of practical field positions. Rifle 125 includes classroom and range time learning to shoot rifles. Students learn:
- Rules for safe gun handling & range rules
- Rifle parts and operation & ammunition
- Shooting fundamentals: Five steps to firing each shot
- Natural Point of Aim
- Shooting from the prone, standing and sitting/kneeling positions to include use of the sling
- Introduction to Sight Adjustments and basic calculation of minutes of angle
- 25 Yard “Morgan’s 13” Classifier
- 25 Yard Rifle Qualifier
- Intermediate calculation of minutes of angle for precise sight adjustments at all ranges
- Cadets that have not yet earned their NRA marksmanship medal for Blues uniform wear will have the option through qualification testing (both written testing and live fire on NRA targets) to qualify for either a pro-marksman or marksman NRA medal.