Rifle 125 (Basic Rifle) – Two Day (Midvale, OH)
Jun 29, 2024 @ 8:00 am—Jun 30, 2024 @ 4:00 pm EDT
Rifle 125 (Basic Rifle) Overview
Estimated Ammunition Required: About 500 rounds.
Rifle Requirements: Magazine-fed semi-automatic rifles generally work best for our classes, but any other type of rifle (tube-fed semi-automatic, lever-action, bolt-action, etc.) can be used as well. Bring whatever rifle you have and we will work with you.
Required Equipment: Please review our suggestions for appropriate Rifle 125 equipment and plan to bring the following:
- sling for your rifle (a US GI sling is strongly preferred as our instruction will be specific to this sling; loaner slings are typically available at the event)
- case for your rifle
- minimum two (2) magazines for your rifle
- a way to take notes
- hearing protection
- eye protection
- plenty of your preferred method of hydration (both plain water and something to replace electrolytes you will lose via sweating is ideal)
- clothing appropriate for the weather (loose fitting clothing, especially around the neck, is discouraged as hot brass can lodge against the skin and cause a burn)
- lunch (there are no restaurants sufficiently close to the range)
It is helpful that all ammunition be of the same type (i.e. same weight, manufacturer, etc) for this event. Shooting will primarily be at 25 yards.
Optional Equipment: The following equipment is not required but may come in handy at the event:
- shooting mat, carpet remnant or similar
- hat with a brim (to deflect flying hot brass)
- stapler (and extra staples) to attach your target to the backer board
- folding chair
- sunscreen and/or bug spray
Loaner Firearms: loaner firearms suitable for use at this event are generally available but limited. Please contact the Event Director prior to the event if you would like to request a loaner firearm.
Overview: This is our signature offering, based on traditional American riflecraft that teaches “Hits Count!” It is appropriate for a wide breadth of student skill levels. This course lays a sound foundation for students to shoot groups under time pressure from a variety of practical field positions. Rifle 125 includes classroom, drills and range time learning to shoot rifles.
- Rules for safe gun handling & range rules
- Rifle parts and operation & ammunition
- Shooting fundamentals: Five steps to firing each shot
- Natural Point of Aim
- Shooting from the prone, standing and sitting/kneeling positions to include use of the sling
- Introduction to Sight Adjustments and basic calculation of minutes of angle
- 25 Yard “Morgan’s 13” Classifier
- 25 Yard Rifle Qualifier
- Intermediate calculation of minutes of angle for precise sight adjustments at all ranges
- Introduction to Field Shooting, to include basic ballistics and live firing to longer distances (if the range facility permits)
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere
Hear the true story of Paul Revere’s famous ride and learn about the events that immediately precipitated the Revolutionary War. Paul Revere did not ride alone – many individuals played crucial roles in the events of April 19th, 1775.
This history presentation begins with alarm riders warning “the Regulars are out!” You’ll hear about the dramatic stand on Lexington Green and the “shots heard ’round the world” at Concord’s North Bridge. The tale concludes with harrowing life-or-death choices made along the 17 mile “battle road.”
This exciting tale will be woven throughout the day’s marksmanship events.
Additional Event Information
Make sure to bring a lunch with you as there are no convenient options off the range for getting lunch in the time we have allotted.
There will be a $10/person range fee for non-Tusco members for the weekend. Please bring cash with you to cover this fee.